Cygwin (X server)
Here are the instructions for setting up Cygwin as an X server. See Connecting from outside for how to use it once it's installed.
- Install Cygwin with the xorg-x11-base and openssh packages.
- Go to http://www.cygwin.com.
- In the "Installing and Updating Cygwin" section, right-click on setup.exe and save it in your computer. Put it in an accesible place, such as the Desktop, since this program not only an installer, but is also used as a package manager for Cygwin.
- Run setup.exe.
- Click "Next" to skip the introduction.
- Click "Next" to accept "Install from Internet" as the download source.
- Click "Next" to accept "C:\cygwin" as the Root Directory, and other options.
- Click "Next" to accept the default local package directory.
- In the "Select Your Internet Connection" page, choose "Use IE5 Settings" after making sure that Internet Explorer is set up correctly to connect to the Web. Then click "Next".
- In the "Choose A Download Site" page, you can choose an arbitrary site. Then click "Next".
- Cygwin will download the list of packages from that site. In the "Select Packages" page that follows, click on the + sign next to the option X11. Click on "Skip" next to xorg-x11-base to mark that package for installation.
- Click on the + sign next to the Net group to expand it. Click on "Skip" next to openssh to mark that package for installation. Then click "Next" to begin the download process.
- After the download is complete, you can choose where setup will install some Cygwin icons. It is recommended to add an icon at least to the Desktop. Click on "Finish" to finish the installation process.