Password and OTP
- 1 Passwords
- 1.1 OTP and UNIX passwords
- 1.2 To change your UNIX password
- 1.3 To install, or reinstall, HOTP on your mobile phone
- 1.4 If your HOTP application generates invalid OTPs
- 1.5 To use Google Authenticator
- 1.6 Forgotten password
OTP and UNIX passwords
There are two types of password:
- A regular or UNIX (or IdNG) password
- Used for almost everything done from inside the CSE network
- A One-Time password or OTP
- Used mainly for connecting to CSE services from outside the CSE network. See Connecting from outside.
An OTP can be obtained in one of 4 ways:
- Using the HOTP mobile application installed on your mobile phone. See below.
- From SMS. An SMS can be requested at http://shotp.cs.huji.ac.il or at https://registrar.cs.huji.ac.il/hotp/register/sms. Five OTPs will be sent. These should be used in sequential order.
- Using Google Authenticator for time-based OTP
- Using a CSE-supplied TeleID card. (These are no longer being distributed to new users.)
To change your UNIX password
You can use either your old UNIX password, or an OTP, to authenticate
To install, or reinstall, HOTP on your mobile phone
Note: If your phone number has changed, you will first have go to Kobi, Rothberg building, room B306.
HOTP can be installed on mobile devices with the iOS or Android operating system. The app needs to be installed from the app store prior (or during) registration. To register, go to the HOTP registration page, and select Register device. Follow the instructions on that page, and you will receive an SMS with the activation code for the HOTP app, and an acknowledgment e-mail.
After activation, to generate OTP type your PIN, and press 'code'. As described above, if your PIN number is incorrect an OTP will still be generated, but it will be invalid.
If your HOTP application generates invalid OTPs
Select 'Back' and re-enter your PIN. If that doesn't help, reinstall HOTP (see above).
To use Google Authenticator
- Install "Google Authenticator" from Android Play/Apple Store
- Register at hOTP registration page using you cs user name and password
- Now you can either:
- Click on the link you receive by SMS (iPhone users), or
- Scan the QR-Code from the web page (pay attention that you cannot do this proccess from your mobile, since you have to scan the code using it)
- On android, the Google Authenticator requires the ZXing code scanner
- Open the Google Authenticator, and click on the menu button
- Choose "Add an account" and scan the QR-Code
- If you already have a working account for CSE and you want to create a new one, you have to delete the existing one first
Reset password using web page
Go to account management at https://registrar.cs.huji.ac.il/account, type in your ID number and follow the instructions
Reset password using OTP on unix console
In case you forget the UNIX password, you can still log in using the otp. To do so, append the suffix :otp to your username when logging in and then enter otp instead of the regular password. e.g. instead of username log in as username:otp, you can log in this way either directly on a workstation, or through remote connection (rsh, telnet, etc.), e.g. moishe will log in by:
rsh -l moishe:otp river
After you have successfully logged in, you can reset your UNIX password as explained above.
If you fail to log in, or can't get a working otp, you will have to come to the system (Rothberg building, room B113) with an identification card and we will reset your password.